Visiting Clerkship Stipends for Underrepresented Students in Medicine
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine welcomes students from diverse backgrounds from the Class of 2023 to apply for senior elective rotations during the 2023-2024 academic year. Students will be matched with a faculty and resident advisor during the clerkship to provide mentorship and networking opportunities for rising fourth-year medical students. Students will also be connected with members of the Northwestern McGaw Underrepresented Residents & Fellows Forum.
To help defray the cost of an away rotation, we provide stipends of up to $1,500 to those qualified students who are underrepresented in medicine as defined by the AAMC, LGBTQ+, those from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, first-generation college students, military veterans, and anyone committed to addressing health inequities and social determinants of health.
Please contact email@example.com with any additional questions.
Prospective students for the Visiting Elective Program for Students Underrepresented in Medicine:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be pursuing a medical degree at an LCME- or AOA-accredited medical school.
- Must be in their final year of medical school.
- Must be in good standing at their medical school.
- Must have completed all core clerkships in internal medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, pediatrics and surgery.
- Must apply to rotate up to and including Block 20. Block 21 students may be considered pending available funds. Block 22 and all blocks afterwards are not eligible for the stipend.
All required visiting student application materials must be submitted via VSAS in addition to this application. This application should be uploaded to VSAS under “Supplemental Documents.” This application must be complete and uploaded to VSAS before you submit your VSAS application. Please note that we cannot consider supplemental applications received after you are notified of an acceptance to an elective.
Students applying for the Stipend are encouraged to apply no less than three months in advance to assure adequate processing time for the supplemental application. Please refer to the visiting students website for further information.
Acceptance to the Visiting Elective Program for Students Underrepresented in Medicine is contingent upon acceptance to the Visiting Student Program for a U.S. Applicant.