Loan Management & Finances
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) has established a comprehensive resource page dedicated to handling finances while in training. As part of this initiative, the AAMC has also established the FIRST program, which offers unbiased information and free resources to help trainees make financial decisions. Topics include:
- Grace, deferment and forbearance
- Loan repayment options
- Postponing loan repayment during residency
- Residency and relocation loans
- Budgeting and money management
- Credit card debt
- Consumer and federal financial aid resources
Loan Deferment & Training Verification
The McGaw graduate medical education office is available to help process training verifications and loan deferments. Please direct requests to:
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
420 E. Superior St., Suite 9-900
Chicago, IL 60611
Financial health can take a back seat with a busy schedule. These resources curated by McGaw can help you manage your finances during training.
- The White Coat Investor, a website that addresses personal finance and investing for physicians
- Medical Economics - Physicians Financial News
- Medical Economics – Medical Practice Management
- Dahle, James M. The White Coat Investor: A Doctor’s Guide to Personal Finance and Investing. United States. White Coat Investor, LLC, 2014.
- Steiner, Jeff. The Physicians Guide to Personal Finance: The Review Book for the Class You Never Had in Medical School. San Bernadina, CA, Two Pugs Publishing, 2013.
- Graham, Benjamin. The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing. New York, Harper, 2006.
- Marks, Howard. The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor. New York, Columbia Business School Publishing, 2011.
- Bogle, John C. The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock... Market Returns. S.l., John Wiley, 2017.
- Clements, Jonathan. How to Think About Money. North Charleston, SC, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2016.
- Belsky, Gary, and Thomas Gilovich. Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes ... and How to Correct Them: Lessons Fom the Life-Changing Science of Behavioral Economics. New York, Simon & Schuster Paperbacks, 2010.
- Kahneman, Daniel. Thinking, Fast and Slow. New York, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2015.
- Dunn, Elizabeth, and Michael I. Norton. Happy Money: The Science of Happier Spending. New York, Simon & Schuster Paperbacks, 2014.