Physical wellness – including fitness, nutrition and proper rest – encourages the balance, energy, stress reduction. The following programs, services, resources and reading materials can help you achieve your personal fitness, nutritional and overall health goals.
Rest, Health and Wellness
- Your lives as trainees are busy and complicated. While this is an exciting time, as physicians-in-training you are vulnerable to mood disorders, anxiety, and substance abuse problems which can derail professional development and personal fulfillment. Please review this slide set to learn more about the signs of burnout, depression and substance abuse.
- Northwestern Medicine Health and Wellness News Blog
Find articles that include NM physicians’ expertise on being well
- Osher Center for Integrative Medicine
Optimize your health with a customized health and wellness plan and support
- Because those in-training can face challenges in their pursuit of good quality sleep on a consistent basis, you will find an educational session on sleep health for housestaff “Sleep and Circadian Health: Residency and Beyond” by Phyllis C. Zee, MD, PhD. The recording is available online to all McGaw housetaff (NU NetID credentials required for login).
- NMH Nap Rooms
Napping rooms are located on the 4th and 6th floors of Feinberg (Door Code-67430)
- NMH Fitness Room
Located in Galter 11th floor Suite 11-235 (Use ID Badge for room access)
- Fitness Facilities: Northwestern Auxiliary Services
McGaw residents can get a discounted rate at the downtown Fitness Formula Clubs and the Chicago Park District's Lake Shore Field house and facilities.
- Yoga with Adrienne
YouTube channel in which a woman leads daily yoga sessions for free.
- Tone it Up
Website that includes free recipes, free online workouts that don't require leaving the house and accompanying weekly schedules that tell you exactly what to do each day, and an online support
- Heart and Sole
A no-commitment, no-judgment run/walk group open to all Northwestern Medicine employees, faculty, housestaff, staff and students, regardless of their ability or fitness level. There is no cost to participate. The team meets every Monday at 5:30 p.m. in the Prentice lobby, rain or shine. Participants will walk or run the lakefront path for a total of 40 minutes (20 minutes out, 20 minutes back). Heart and Sole participates in 5Ks and 10Ks during the summer months. Questions? Just ask!