Northwestern McGaw Underrepresented Residents & Fellows Forum
Established in 2011, Northwestern McGaw Underrepresented Residents & Fellows Forum (NMURFF) is an inter-departmental group for Northwestern Medicine trainees. The NMURFF leadership consists of residents and/or fellows of any race who carry out programming in four areas: mentoring, networking and career development, outreach, and strategy and collaboration.
NMURFF welcomes members of all backgrounds who support our mission of equity and inclusion, including those considered underrepresented in medicines as defined by the AAMC, LGBTQ+, those from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, first-generation college students, military veterans and anyone committed to addressing health inequities and social determinants of health. We will:
- Work strategically and collaboratively to advance diversity for McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University through outreach and other avenues.
- Provide career development and networking opportunities aimed at addressing underrepresentation across specialties, locally and nationally.
- Support each other and current medical students through mentoring and partnership, fostering an environment where all trainees can thrive.
Forum Meetings & Events
NMURFF meets quarterly. The first 15–30 minutes is reserved for forum business followed by a presentation, activity or speaker.
Join or Contact NMURFF
To join NMURFF or request additional information, please email: NMURFF@northwestern.edu.
Housestaff also communicate with the administration on a host of concerns via the McGaw Housestaff Association.
2023-2024 NMURFF Leadership
- Maryam Ige, MD (Ophthalmology) - Co-President
- Asantewaa Ture, MD (Internal Medicine) - Co-President
- Bukky Tabiti, MD (Internal Medicine) - Vice President
- Alaa Mohamedali, MD (Ophthalmology) - Secretary
- John Walton, MD (Family Medicine-NLFH) - Mentoring Co-Chair
- Alexander Worix, MD (Internal Medicine) - Mentoring Co-Chair
- Joseph Morrow, MD (Anesthesiology) - Mentoring Co-Chair
- Madonna Enwe, MD (Pediatrics) - Community Outreach & Development Co-Chair
- Janet Nwuakoni, DO (Family Medicine) - Community Outreach & Development Co-Chair